SBC International Student FAQ

Where is the SBC International Student Centre?

It is located at Saskatoon Business College. Contact the SBC International Student Advisor for more details.

What are the different start dates?

September, October, January, and March. For the next start date for your program of choice, speak to an advisor.

What is the deadline for international students to apply?

If you are not already in Canada, it is wise to apply no later than five months   before your intended start date. This will give you plenty of time to complete all the required documentation and make travel and accommodation arrangements.

Do my transcripts have to be translated into English?

Yes.  This is a requirement for submission to both Saskatoon Business College and the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS).  Both the original and notarized translation is required.

Does Saskatoon Business College have a student residence?

No.  We do not have a student residence. Please refer to SBC Connect for more information.

Can I work while I am a student?

Yes.  You will be able to work while you are a student.  International students are entitled to work up to twenty (20) hours per week during their full-time studies, and may work as many hours as they wish during scheduled school breaks.

Can I work in Canada after I graduate?

Usually. Check Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada for more information.

Saskatoon Business College not only includes a Career Strategies class in every program but also provides the services of a Graduate Employer Liaison to help you make connections to the workplace.  Work Practicums are also offered with certain programs.

Does SBC guarantee post-graduate work permits for successul graduates?

SBC cannot guarantee post-graduate work permits for internationals students who have successfully completed their program. For more information about the post-graduate work permit application process, please visit Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada.

Can I apply to become a Permanent Resident or a Canadian Citizen?

If you are considering becoming a Permanent Resident or a Canadian Citizen, check  Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada for more information.

Who will help me if I have questions or issues settling into Canadian life?

SBC International Student Centre

Newcomer Information Centre Saskatoon

Saskatoon Open Door Society

Family Service Saskatoon

 The Global Gathering Place

 International Women of Saskatoon

Where do I go to get assistance if I am struggling with my classes?

You will have several options:

  • Speak to the SBC International Student Advisor by appointment.
  • Request a tutor
  • Make an appointment to work with your teacher after classes.  Instructors are available to assist Monday to Thursday from 3:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and later by appointment. 

Is health insurance available and how much will it cost?

For information about health insurance in Saskatchewan, visit Saskatchewan Healthcare.

How much does it cost to live in Saskatchewan?

Depending on your budget, you can expect your expenses for accommodation, food, clothing, and transportation to be approximately $1,500 each month.

What kind of clothing will I need?

As Saskatoon experiences a wide range of temperatures, you will require a variety of clothing.

In the summer, very lightweight clothing and sandals are common, but in the spring and fall, a light jacket with closed shoes is a good idea. 

Winter will bring snow (sometimes lots of it) and ice with temperatures that drop into the -20s and -30s.  During this time, you will want to bundle up with warm hats, warm winter jackets, boots and mitts.

partnerships & accreditation

sign up for the SBC newsletter

If you are interested in our Full-Time programs please fill out the form below to join our Newsletter Mailing List.